Wednesday, March 25, 2009

virginal moment and an exciting ending, what more could a girl ask for?

so my last shift for the week is winding down and I am trying to figure out the rest of my week.

Last night I had my very first pediatric IV stick. Poor kid...I had to stick him twice because he wiggled his arm loose while I was attempting to draw labs from the first stick, but I got the stick again on the second try and got all the labs I needed. My fellow medics and nurses were amazed I had never had one before. 2 years in a paramedic course and almost 2 years in the field as a medic now and this was another virginal moment for me. I explained to them that I am as far from a shit magnet as one can be. I have this shit reflector apparently. I have a white cloud that follows me from every job I have worked in this business and every place I have volunteered. As a student my preceptors absolutely LOVED me and would beg me to come back or stay longer, which I did, trying to get more experience to no avail. Im sad to admit that although I love my job I feel inadequate a lot. I have only ever had one field intubation, and maybe a dozen total counting my OR rotations in medic school. Damn...

I was hired with my boss knowing just how green I am. Im not so sure my fellow commrades know this... Everytime there is a call and Im not the medic up in rotation I pull out my protocol book and read through the appropriate protocol and jump up and look for the call on the map. But dont really know if its helping yet... The doc on tonight did say he would try to remember that when I am working Id like to do some of the more intricate things like IOs, tubes, and needle decompressions. At least I know I have decent IV skills...I get tons of time to perfect those skills working in a hospital based system.

I need a part time job, one to help me on those aformentioned skills, two to help pay some bills off and buy groceries... and 3 to keep me busy and out of trouble on my days off....

Well 35 more minutes and Im outta here....I have to admit, while researching online to see if a second book from a very talented author was coming out anytime ir if he was just a one hit wonder I came across his blog. I began reading it during some down time we had tonight to realize he would be in the town I work in this morning. I decided to take the chance of sounding slightly stalkerish and emailed him to see if I might recommend a place to eat and perhaps meet him and get an autograph. To my surprise and delight he not only responded to my email but suggested giving him a call and seeing if we might be able to meet up. I am dorkishly excited about this. So I am going to hang around town at my friends place for a few hours to save me some gas expenses of driving home for 2 hours and driving back here. Downfall is Im stuck in my uniform for the majority of the day unless Sara has something I can wear.... we shall see...

Thats it for now....

No comments: