Tuesday, March 24, 2009

another day another dollar

Ok, so being new the blogger world I am not sure what people write or why they write, I personally have no followers...not that I really mind...I write for my own personal being. I have been living in the state of Pennsylvania for 2 months now. I have been off light duty at the new job for a week now and to my surprise have not forgotten any important skills that I noticed yet. I didn't realize just how much I miss getting out and being on the truck. So far this week I have been specializing in breathing problems and have become a pro at giving neb treatments to the elderly. I got excited last night about a psych pt who was supposed to come in POV who was supposed to be a little rowdy. He wasnt when he first came in and we got him settled in a room. It kinda went downhill after that, lighting a cigarette and then refusing to change into a gown and then he started picking on my boss man...a man who was at least twice his weight and about as tall as the pt. It was entertaining to say the least to watch on the monitor we have installed in the psych room. But after 10 of Haldol and 4 of Ativan he was sleeping like a baby. I of course, was on triage desk duty for my boss while he was using his omnious IV skills on a pt that had already been used as a pin cushion for the last 8 hours, but the admitting doc HAD to have a line....

Because I spent the last 5 months sitting in front of a computer, what little bit of the area I had begun to learn was forgotten. I made what could have been a MAJOR mistake the other day. I was working day shift on Friday ( I still havent figured out what I did to be put on a day shift yet but I have at least 3 more coming this schedule) and a cardiac arrest came out at a local nursing home. Well considering there are a plethera of them here I asked my coworker if that was the one out on Rt. 30 and she confirmed it was, and said she would go back me up. Off we go, we get to Rt 30 and I take a left to here ask for confirmation on the road name, and then ask me if I copied that, it was at that moment I realized I should have taken a right (we have 2 nursing homes on Rt 30 you see) and had to circle the block. Thank goodness when she arrived she found the wonderful nursing staff doing great compressions on a woman who was talking to them and of course her chief complaint was chest pain...well my partner told our 3rd partner (we have 3 medics on every shift) who gave a call to my boss and told him of my little mishap and in turn I ended up chauferring the 3rd partner around for about an area while he quizzed me on where some vital landmarks are in town. I fully expected a talking to from the boss man, but I worked 8 hours with himlast night and he never said a word, the unit secretary on the other hand couldnt resist pointing out my fault....

No comments: